In order to promote safety during the winter months, changes were made to the City’s Snow and Ice Removal from Sidewalks Ordinance (98.37). Owners and/or occupants of all properties within the City must now clear any accumulation of ice and/or snow from public sidewalks adjoining such property.
Changes are as follows:
- Owners and/or occupants of all properties within the City must clear any accumulation of ice and/or snow from public sidewalks adjoining such property.
- Clearing must be done within 24 hours of accumulation or placement of snow and/or ice.
- If a sidewalk is not cleared within the 24-hour period of accumulation, the City may issue a civil infraction ticket that is a personal debt owed to the City for each day that the owner fails to clear the sidewalk.
- If the City has to remove ice and/or snow from the sidewalk, a lien on the property is imposed for the cost of clearing the sidewalk.
- Properties located along school routes are not exempt from this ordinance.
- Sidewalks designated for clearance by the City are worked on after City streets, alleys and parking lots have been plowed.
For a map on which sidewalks are plowed by the City visit: www.mt-pleasant.org/maps.