Information for Crime Victims

Under the Michigan Crime Victim’s Rights Act, an individual who suffers direct or threatened physical, financial or emotional harm as a result of a felony or other included crime, is entitled to the following information:

  • The availability of emergency and medical services, if applicable.
  • The availability of victim’s compensation benefits. An application is available from the Crime Victim’s Compensation Board at P.O. Box 30026, Lansing, 48909. (517) 373-7373.
  • For additional information about your rights, you may contact the Isabella County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office at 200 N. Main St., Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858. (989) 772-0911, Ext. 1311.
  • If you would like to be notified of an arrest in your case, contact the investigating officer.
  • After a suspect has been arrested, you may contact the Isabella County Jail to determine whether the defendant has been released from custody. (989) 772-5915.
  • At any time, you may contact the Mt. Pleasant Police Department regarding the status of the case. (989) 779-5100.

Domestic Dispute Survivor’s Rights Notice:
  • You may obtain a copy of the police report for your case by contacting the Mt. Pleasant Police Department (MPPD) at (989) 779-5100.
  • If you are the survivor of domestic violence, you can ask the county prosecuting attorney to file a criminal complaint. It is the policy of the MPPD and the Isabella County Prosecuting Attorney that criminal complaints against individuals for domestic violence will be filed by the investigating police agency.
  • Survivors of domestic violence will not be asked to sign the complaint. If you have contacted a police agency relative to a domestic assault, you should call the Isabella County Prosecutor’s Office, (989) 772-0911, ext. 1311, the first weekday after the police are contacted, regardless of whether an arrest has been made. It is important that you contact the Prosecutor’s Office to obtain further information as to your rights and responsibilities in the criminal prosecution of an assault.
  • Your legal rights also include the right to go to court and file a petition requesting a personal protection order (PPO) to protect you, or other members of your household from domestic abuse which could include the following:
    • Entering onto the premises.
    • Assaulting, attacking, beating, molesting or wounding you.
    • Removing minor children from you, except as otherwise authorized by a custody or visitation order issued by a court of competent jurisdiction.
    • Engaging in stalking behavior.
    • Purchasing or possessing a firearm.
    • Interfering with your efforts to remove your children or personal property from premises that are solely owned or leased by the abuser.
    • Interfering with you at your place of employment or education or engaging in conduct that impairs your employment relationship or your educational environment.
    • Engaging in any other specific act or conduct that imposes upon or interferes with your personal liberty or that causes a reasonable apprehension of violence.
    • Having access to information in records concerning any minor child you have with the abuser that would inform the abuser of your address, telephone number, the child’s address, telephone number, or your employment address.
  • Your legal rights also include the right to go to court and file a motion for an order to show cause and a hearing if the abuser or perpetrator is violating the protection order and has not been arrested.

Information for Survivors of Sexual Assault:
  • You can have a sexual assault medical forensic examination and have evidence collected using a sexual assault evidence kit even if you do not want to participate in the criminal justice system or cooperate with law enforcement.
  • You cannot be billed for the cost of administrating the sexual assault evidence kit. If you receive a bill for these services, contact the Michigan Crime Victim Services Commission at (517) 373-7373.
  • You have the right to ask the investigating law enforcement agency for the contact information of the detective or investigating officer assigned to the case, the current status of the case, whether the case has been submitted to the prosecuting attorney for review, and whether the case has been closed and the documented reason for closure.
  • If you had a sexual assault evidence kit collected and released to law enforcement you have a right to ask the investigating law enforcement agency for the following information: when the sexual assault evidence kit was sent to a forensic laboratory for testing; whether a DNA profile was obtained from the sexual assault evidence kit; whether a DNA profile was entered into CODIS; and whether a DNA profile resulted in a CODIS hit.
  • Your legal rights include the right to go to court and file a petition requesting a personal protection order (PPO)/restraining order to protect you from the perpetrator. The PPO could order the perpetrator not to have contact with you and include other specific conditions.

Information for All Crime Victims:
Emergency and Medical Services
McLaren Central Michigan: (989) 772-6700  
Mid-Michigan Medical Center – Mt. Pleasant: (989) 775-1600

Isabella County Child Advocacy Center
(989) 317-8787

Isabella Prosecutor’s Office and Victim’s Advocate
(989) 772-0911, Ext. 1311

Listening Ear
(989) 772-2918

Men Overcoming Violent Experience
(989) 772-9168

Mt. Pleasant Police Department

(989) 779-5100

National Domestic Violence Hotline
(800) 799-7233 

R.I.S.E Advocacy (Recovery, Independence, Safety & Empowerment)
Crisis Line: (844) 349-6177
Office: (989) 773-0078

Sexual Aggression Peer Advocates for students of Central Michigan University (SAPA)

(989) 774-2255

Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SANE) Exams
McLaren Central Michigan: (989) 772-6777

Shelter House of Midland: (877) 216-6383

Victim Notification Service