For information regarding housing rental and licensing, please click on the links below or call (989) 779-5105.
- Annual Rental Application Renewal
- Housing Licensing Code
- Licensing Fees (PDF)
- A Practical Guide for Tenants & Landlords (PDF)
New Rental Property Requirements
- Egress from the structure: All properties shall have properly operating doors with deadbolt locks. Bedrooms and other sleeping areas shall be provided with secondary egress in the form of one window compliant with codes. Basement rooms shall not be used for sleeping or living area unless an approved secondary egress is provided from the space to the exterior.
- Smoke detectors must be provided in each sleeping room. An additional smoke detector must be outside each sleeping room in the immediate vicinity of bedrooms. At least one smoke detector shall be provided on each floor of the structure including the basement. All smoke detectors shall be electric with battery backup and interconnected.
- Parking shall be provided for tenants in compliance with City of Mt. Pleasant zoning regulations. Parking in the front yard is prohibited by local ordinance.
- Heating, ventilation, plumbing, water heating and electrical systems must be in good working order.
- Property owners who do not reside in Isabella County, Michigan must provide a designated agent to act on behalf of the owner.
- Occupancy of a rental property is subject to City of Mt. Pleasant zoning regulations. Allowing occupancy greater than the authorized number is subject to citations and fines.