Forms and Permits

The Engineering Department is responsible for reviewing and inspecting all construction that is performed within the City right-of-way. The right-of-way is generally identified as the area along a public street that lies between the sidewalk and the street. Alleys are also considered a City right-of-way. The actual width of a right-of-way varies considerably throughout the community, so it is best to contact the Engineering Department to determine the right-of-way width on a particular street or alley.

Permits & Forms

Permits are required for work that will occur in the city right-of-way.

  • Typical projects that require a permit include, but are not limited to, water or sewer line replacement, driveway approaches, storm sewer projects, sidewalk construction, and tree planting. 
  • A water permit is required for the installation or replacement of a water service, or for the purchase of a new or replacement water meter. 
  • Anyone working within the City right-of-way is required to obtain a permit from the Public Works office and provide proof of insurance
  • Permits can be obtained and paid for online by emailing, or in person at the Division of Public Works office at City Hall, 320 W. Broadway Street. 
  • The Engineering Department must be contacted to inspect the work before it is completed. 
  • If work is performed in the right-of-way without a permit or inspection, penalties will be assessed to the property owner or contactor.
The permit worksheet is available for download here. This is a worksheet, not an actual permit.  Please fill out the worksheet and return it to the Public Works office via email at If you have any questions regarding the City right-of-way or whether you need a permit, please contact Stacie Tewari, City Engineer, at (989) 779-5404, or via email at