Riverside Cemetery is a municipal facility operated and maintained by the City of Mt. Pleasant located on West Broadway behind Nelson Park. Two city departments combine efforts to assure smooth operation of the cemetery.
- Space Sales are done either at time of death or in advance and are purchased by the family of the deceased, funeral directors, or individuals wishing to buy spaces for use at a later date or for someone else.
- Issues considered in purchasing and/or location of available spaces:
- Near other relatives, family or friends
- Sections that are available
- Presently owned lots
- Full burial or cremation (may determine if new spaces are needed)
- Payment for space sales and burials is required at the time of sales or services.
- Cemetery deeds for spaces purchased are prepared and mailed by the Deputy City Clerk.
- Location of burial sites, graves, or researching lots for sale is done by both the Deputy City Clerk and Building and Grounds personnel.
- Foundations for markers:
- Poured twice a year (May & September)
- Must be poured by cemetery personnel
- Cost is $0.20 per square inch
- Possible Closing Information: During winter and early spring, cemetery road conditions may require the cemetery to be temporarily closed to vehicular traffic until road conditions improve. Cemetery staff apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause.
- April 1st - April 15th
- Grave blankets and excess plants must be removed by April 15
- Plantings may be placed beginning May 1st
- October 1st - October 15th
- All flowers, excess plants, and pots must be removed by October 15th
- Winter decorations and grave blankets may be placed beginning November 15th
- Cemetery personnel will remove all flowers, decorations, trees and shrubs which have become unsightly.
- Cemetery personnel are not responsible for damaged, lost or stolen items.